Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Not so healthy topic for the night

Warning: The following is not for the health conscious people out there. Just a random post about what we had for dinner. Also not included for the health awareness week though it can be a great idea for lunch or dinner on a lovely Sunday. 

Tonight I came home from tennis practice and saw a freshly bought fish. I was a bit reluctant when it comes to fish, I'm not a real fan of it. What I did was ask my mom what it is and she said, "It's a blue marlin!" . .

The first thing that popped into mind was fats and oil. YES! Fats and oil. I used to like that fish but as I grew up, I started hating it. I don't know why but there's just something about the taste that stays in your mouth  for hours. 

My mom wanted the fish marinated in a simple marinade and grilled. She just wanted something simple. So the fish was marinated with a soy sauce mixture. I then started thinking about how to give it more taste and every time I think of fish, the only thing that comes into mind is HOLLANDAISE. 

I kept saying to myself "NO, too much fats!". I opened the fridge and only saw eggs, butter and some lemon.  . Maybe that's what encouraged my thoughts to bring up hollandaise. 

So after two hours of marinating (yes, two hours! to get rid of the awful fishy taste, it won't really damage the fish due to its fats.) the fish was grilled. Just until it's properly cooked, it only takes 15 minutes to properly cook it. 

After grilling the nasty piece of fish, I then started making my dreadful hollandaise sauce. Dreadful not for the taste but for the process of making it. Whisking it is just a pain in the ass but still I love doing it. Weird right?

To make the sauce you must first need to separate the egg whites from the yolk. All we need are the yolks. Once separated whisk in the freshly squeezed lemon. Whisk until it increases in volume. . You'll start to see the egg and lemon mixture thickening.

Once it is done, put it over a saucepan with hot water in it, not too hot though and careful not to touch the bottom of the bowl to the water. This may cause your egg to be cooked and scramble.

Start pouring in slowly the melted butter and whisk vigorously until all the melted butter are incorporated. Voila! your very own Hollandaise sauce. Don't forget to season it with salt and pepper too.  :)

I also added some chopped pine nuts just to give it some texture, I just roasted a handful of pine nuts and chopped them roughly.

It's pretty exhausting but still worthwhile.

Grilled Blue Marlin with Hollandaise Sauce and chopped pine nuts.

So here it is, doesn't look like much but taste good. Cheers!


Ingredients:

Blue Marlin

Marinade:

  • 1 cup of Soy sauce
  • 1 cup of Vinegar
  • a handful of Black peppercorn
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 bayleaf
  • 2 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 1 onion chopped
  • Hollandaise sauce:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • Fresh juice of 1 lemon or 1 tbsp
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of pepper



2 comments:

  1. That sounds a dreadfully long time to marinate fish. I don't know blue marlin, though it sounds like a denser fish, so maybe 15 minutes wouldn't kill the fish. But of course you wanted to kill the fish. I guess you eat fish then for the health benefits. Not really met by this recipe. Well I guess it was enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it can be marinated for 45 minutes but I prefer mine for 2 hours just to get rid of that awful fishy taste. . Like I've said Jigme, not really a fan of fish. :) Just want them dead and tasty. LOL

      You should try it soon. :)

      Delete