Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hungarian Pork Goulash

Another day for a new recipe to try. I thought about making Hungarian Pork Goulash which is new to me since what I have done in school before was beef. I tried pork since it's all that was available and can be cooked in a short time.

After a really tiring game of tennis, I could really use some nice warm meal to relax. . . .

First things first, prepping of the ingredients. This includes cutting the vegetables and such. Will be specified below in the ingredients list. Procedure will be stated as follows,



First, what I did was I dipped the pork in flour. Not too much though. Just dust off the excess flour. Then put a tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauce pan and wait until the pan gets really hot.

Once the pan is hot enough, sear each slice of pork on all sides. Don't crowd the pan. What we need at this time is the brown color, that gives the pork its flavor.

After the browning process remove the pork from the pan and into a plate. At this point, the pork is not fully cooked, we need to cook it thoroughly later. Now, add another tablespoon of olive oil and start caramelizing the onions. When caramelized, you can now add carrots, bell peppers, chilies, tomatoes and just saute them for a few minutes. Then add half a cup of water at this time.

Now, I wanted to use the canned tomatoes where there are huge tomatoes and the juice of it inside but unfortunately we don't have them here and there's no time to buy some. Instead I used real tomatoes, the small ones and just used some tomato paste. I added the tomato paste when after adding the water. Remember to mix it well.

After adding water, add the fried pork and let simmer for a few minutes to properly cook it.

This is the time to add more water and add the salt, cayenne pepper, black peppercorn, cinnamon and paprika. I just used the spices that are laying around in the kitchen. I don't know why but adding cinnamon to it gives it a unique flavor.

A few minutes before the pork will be properly cooked, add the potatoes. That will make them soft and tender at the same time.

It is also good to add Yogurt in it to make the taste of the stew richer.

Voila! That is how I make my own version of the Hungarian Pork Goulash. I've found other recipes online but I don't have some of the ingredients so I decided to make my own using the ingredients that are easily available at our own house. Easy and quick to make!



NOTE: The measurements for the powdered items are still temporary. Will be changed as soon as it will be confirmed. . . . 


Ingredients:

  • 1/4 kilo Pork, cubes
  • 2 pcs Carrots, diced
  • 3 pcs large Potatoes, diced
  • 4 pcs Tomatoes, quartered
  • 5 pcs onions, minced then caramelized
  • 5 pcs Chilies, roughly chopped
  • 3 pcs Bell peppers, diced
  • 1 pc Ginger, chopped
  • 3 cloves Garlic, peeled, crushed and chopped
  • 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • A packet of tomato paste about 150 g
  • 1 tbsp Salt
  • 1 tbsp Black Peppercorns
  • 1/4 tbsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tbsp Cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tbsp Paprika

No comments:

Post a Comment