Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bibingka for breakfast

Today my parents bought "Bibingka" for breakfast. It's a Filipino delicacy that is our version of the old rice cake.

Here is a pic of it, though not a good one. I'm not that good with taking pics:




Think my dad bought these, a few minutes from our place there is a small shed that sells these. They bake these yummy rice cakes in a small mold with banana leaves (hence the burnt banana leaves) then placed on top of coals. 

Gosh! I love the traditional way of cooking. It gives it a bit of a signature taste to it. I mean the charred sides of the rice cakes gives it an appetizing look and the burned banana leaves, leaves it's banana-ish taste and is really good. 

This even has the simplest ingredients and it's not hard to make. The main ingredients of it is rice (again, hence the name rice cake) and the coconut milk. YUP! I love coconut milk. 

As you can see the rice is grounded finely which makes it soft. Recently, I've seen my mom eat it with melted cheese on top. I have no idea how it tastes because I haven't tried it yet, still hesitant to try it. I've heard that there are different types of how this is eaten. Meaning, some pairs or tops it with different things which is interesting really. 

So for today that's all for the Bibingka breakfast. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment