Wednesday, May 23, 2012

all about the chicken. . .

Today I made a roast chicken for dinner. Wanted to practice cooking it to perfection level like a properly cooked meat without the pink, properly tied and the perfect taste and the perfect gravy to match it.

Asked the help to buy a whole chicken and string. I was a bit nervous waiting for the chicken to come. Thoughts have been racing through my mind like what will be the outcome? will it be perfect like what others do? I can be paranoid sometimes but I see that as a positive thing. Call me crazy! LOL. . 

So I started prepping the bed of veggies I needed for roasting, got some onions, garlic and carrots. Just the stuff available in our house. There are lots of carrots here due to the fact that I drink carrot juice every morning for health reasons. Back to topic, I sliced the onions in half, crushed the garlic cloves and just roughly chopped the carrots and then added some olive oil in it.

After doing the initial prepping, I cleaned the roasting dish that will be used and got the nutmeg, black pepper and salt ready so when the chicken comes, I can Immediately start cleaning it and tying it and stuff.

*warning: emotional content for just one paragraph. . might want to skip this if you're allergic to emotional blabbing.

While waiting (don't even know why it took long ) I was just talking with my parents and stuff about how cooking is my passion but it seems to be hating me. I have this attitude where I fail at a dish, I tend to think if this is really for me or something. In terms of cooking I can be bipolar and I say this from the bottom of my heart. When I cook, I get to a state that I will be so happy and overwhelmed with emotions that even I thought I never had. Then when I finish, I see the finished product with all these negative things and end up being depressed. So that was it, next paragraph.

So the chicken arrived, the first thing I did wash the chicken properly then inserted two lemons. I poked the lemons with the knife, never sliced it. Then tied the chicken the way I remembered it. It's just hard to describe it in writing, as you can see i'm not really that good in writing. Anyways, I mixed the salt, black pepper, cayenne and nutmeg then rubbed olive oil in the chicken and then the seasoning. I don't know what got into me but I added nutmeg, just like the flavor that it gives.

After rubbing and stuff, I placed the chicken on top of the bed of veggies and popped it inside the oven for 220 degrees celsius for about one hour and twenty minutes. That was it. Just went back online to facebook while waiting for the chicken to cook properly.

When the time came, I took the chicken out, placed it in another plate just to sit for 15 minutes or so. Gives me time to deglaze the roasting dish and make the gravy.





so this is the finished product, with the bed of veggies. I teared the skin on the thigh due to rough handling. think I can do better next time on the presentation. <3



That was the whole chicken story. I got some positive feedback which made me happy and wanting to make some more of it. Just to modify the recipe and amaze them on how I can be the chicken roasting king! HAHA

Ingredients:


  • whole chicken
  • nutmeg
  • black pepper
  • salt
  • olive oil
  • carrots
  • onions
  • garlic


That's just it, no proper measurements really, just cooked with my eyes and instincts. Hope this can help you out. cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment