Saturday, June 30, 2012

it's kind of a Curry story

Hey everyone, this is the first time I have posted after ten days of "vacation" in the living room. Today I was motivated by something in which I myself don't even know what and i don't even care. It's a new thing for me for not caring what is what, my personality is always know-everything sort of type. Just loved knowing every single thing that pops in front of me or in mind.

So, yesterday we went shopping for groceries. Even saw our school Chef, made me miss school in an odd way. LOL. We bought these cute little containers for the spices sitting around the house, due to insufficient funds, we only got 12 pieces which is enough for now. Maybe next time we can buy more for different stuff too. 

During the time we were in the grocery store, something hit me! Why not make some curry, little me inside my mind said. There I grabbed some stuff that I can use for the curry. I just explored with some basic spices which I don't really use. I was hoping of using some curry leaves but unfortunately none were available. So I just took the curry powder instead. At least it's curry! I just wanted to use curry leaves because I've never used it before. 

That's what happened yesterday. Today, I pulled a Jamie Oliver in the kitchen. HAHA! I remembered a segment of The Naked Chef about him making some curry. If I wasn't mistaken, he used some mustard seed. Was also curious about that too, always wanted to use that. There's just something about spices which attracts me. 

I made my own version of curry sauce. So what I did was chopped some onions, then sauteed it with a few tablespoons of olive oil. After a few minutes when the onions caramelized, I added the chili's and bell peppers (green and red) and ginger. Sauteed it again then added some chopped parsley to give it some greens, I'm not sure if it's the usual curry but I went for it. After adding the parsley I immediately added the milk and tomato sauce and tomato paste. OH! before I forget, when I was sauteing the onions and stuff, I added some diced tomatoes too. 

After adding the liquids, I added the nutmeg, curry powder, salt, a bit of chili powder and of course, cinnamon powder. Well, i guess it's a spice. HAHA! The only thing I know when to use cinnamon is when making some pastry items. Yea, my knowledge about food right now is a bit shallow. I know some of you food experts out there lurking, criticize this blog but what can I say, I'm still learning. Like a boss!

Ok, so before we drift off to another long story and forget what I'm trying to say, let's get back on track. After adding those spices, I let it simmer for about ten minutes then added a couple of bay leaves. Just let those flavors combine and do their thing. I noticed at first that the sauce was a bit thick so I just added a bit of water to thin it up a bit, although thick is fine. It really just depend on how you want your curry to be. I just don't want it to be a really thick curry. That's all.

So we're done with the sauce, If you can see, no potatoes and no meat. I just made the sauce for tomorrow's dinner. Tomorrow, I'm planning on making chicken curry, I'll just reheat the sauce, add some potatoes and the chicken tenders or breast would be fine. I know it may sound lazy but I wanted to use chicken tenders to lessen the cooking time. So I guess that's about it for the curry. 

I almost made some roast chicken but this post is long enough and might bore some of you reading this. I'll just make a part two of this.

To ease the boredom, here's the recipe for it:


  • 3 onions, chopped
  • 2 red and green bell peppers, chopped
  • 3 chili swords, chopped
  • 1 ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
  • half a cup parsley, chopped
  • 4 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 can milk
  • 1 can tomato sauce 
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • salt and pepper for seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • 1/4 chili powder

Hope this serves you best. cheers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment